Friday, November 2, 2007

Dynamips Progress Report

http://www.dynagen.org/

Last night my internet service from Comcast was out all night long so I wasn't able to post my Dynamips progress report until now.

Great thanks to the reader in the reader comments for showing me how to do this.

start the dynamips server by clicking dynamips-start.cmd. This should get the dynamips server running.



Click on photo to enlarge.

I double clicked on dynamips-start.cmd file as instructed and got this...

A new window pops up -

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe



Click on photo to enlarge.

So we apparently now have the dynamips server running.

Then go in to the sample labs folder and open the simple1 folder.

In there you should see a simple1.net file.

Open this in notepad you should see a line similar to this

"image = \Program Files\Dynamips\images\
c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-11.T.image"

change this to

"image = \Program Files\Dynamips\images\c7200-jk9s-mz.124-12c.bin"

then save the file.






Click on photos to enlarge.

Next double click on the .net file and it should start running.



Click on photo to enlarge.

At this point my computer seems to bog down as if this is draining every available resource. It seems to have calmed down now, we'll see how it goes.

Seems to be working nice and slick now. No more XP grinding.

Via my astute hacking skills I progress as seen below...



Click on photo to enlarge.

Hitting enter at this point gets me this...



Click on photo to enlarge.

Two more windows popped open. One for Router A and one for Router B.

At this point some processing appears to be trying to take place in each of the router windows. It is here that different things happen. Sometimes I get

###################[OK]

And now I'm getting what you see in the above screenshot.

Below you see after 5 minutes one router window has failed to start and the other router window has done something and then failed as well...



Well I guess I just have to hit the Enter key to get some response back in each of the router windows. Router A window asks me if I would like to enter the configuration mode and Router B window takes me to a router prompt.



Click on photo to enlarge.

Then I just hit the Enter key in each window again. Hit it twice if you have to.



So apparently at this point I am in the routers on both windows. I've got Router A and Router B.

As we can see I have one FastEthernet port and 8 Serial ports on each router.

Last night I was able to do some hacking and I got Serial 1/0 in Router A up/up to Serial 1/0 in Router B.

I was able to ping between Router A and Router B.

My first Dynamips lab!

Many thanks to the very good help from the reader in the reader comments.

Now onward and upward. Need to get this thing fine tuned and work on uncompressing the image file. Maybe some of the problems are being caused by me running this thing on the .bin file. May need to uncompress to .image file.

Thanks again for the help my friend. Much appreciated.

http://www.dynagen.org/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool so is it running properly now? It is best to uncompress the image when I go home and get some free time over the weekend (misses is making me decorate (-: ) I will send you some intructions on how to do this.

Anonymous said...

10-4 many thanks. - dk

Anonymous said...

Also remember that if your pc is grinding you need to set your idlepc value. So the best way to do this is start one router only. Then telnet to it press enter to get the telnet window to show something. Hit enter one more time what till all the interface status messages have appeared. Close the telnet window. Then in the dynagen window type idlepc get R1 this should present you with a list of idle values and the ones with a * next to them are the recommended ones for your pc. You will then need to check each of the values till you get one that does not hammer your processor and when you have found the optimal value for your pc you need to add the idle value to your .net file.